Resources and Tips
1. MWR websites are primarily a marketing feature, and should be developed as such, keeping Army web standards.
2. For further clarification, you may consult DoD Webmaster Resources
3. Consult with installation representatives for compliance issues as specified in Army Knowledge Management and Information Technology AR25-1 and DOD Programs for Military Morale, Welfare and Recreation DOD Instruction 1015.10.
4. Make websites accessible using Section 508 standards.
5. Treat web content as a Federal Information Resource per OMB Circcular A-130, and follow these Guide to Managing U.S. Government Websites.
6. Include website management in your installation OPSEC plan.
7. Determine with your command if website hosting is best fulfilled on the installation web server (.mil domain) or because security and advertising issues are different, on a commercial server.
8. Discourage personal use of Blogs, and follow this Information Security Alert (Websites and Blogs) for guidance on Official Blogging. Check here for blogging advice on webContent.gov.
9. Avoid alteration of Official DoD Imagery per Instruction 5040.05.
10. Provide a Security and Privacy statement about your website - using this model language.
11. Provide a mission statement - either under this same heading, or as an 'about us' heading.
12. Include link to your up-line organization.
13. Use of commercial icons such as for Adobe Acrobat Reader, or Microsoft products are prohibited by DoD Policy. You may place a link on your page to a download site, but make it a text link, without the icon. Include appropriate disclaimer statements for ads and commercial links.
14. Provide timely and accurate information: place an update date on each page, and periodically check all links.
15. Avoid designing for one web browser preferred over another.
16. Avoid cookies. Persistant cookies are prohibitied without exception.
17. If you place a weather link on your website, use the government service NOAA.
18. Don't publish photos of family members, especially children, without permission. Here are the copyright essentials.
For more additional website policy, or our use of Social Media should be directed to Mr. Robert Dozier, FMWRC Webmaster.